The Metropolitan YMCAs of Mississippi is dedicated to strengthening our state through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
Lasting personal and social change can only come about when everyone works together. For almost 115 years, YMCA has been addressing community needs to make Mississippi a better place to live.
The Y has an array of programs for youth development, like ensuring that hungry children are fed nutritious meals, teaching the lifesaving skill of swimming, reducing summer learning loss, and building positive character traits. This provides a strong foundation to improve educational attainment, reduce chronic disease and create a culture of health in Mississippi’s future.
Through keeping their employees healthy, corporations can improve their overall productivity, plus save money on health care expenses. The Y offers customizable Corporate Wellness Programs to Mississippi employers.
Starting a Corporate Wellness Program is easy and supports company goals and culture. The Y offers a variety of Healthy Living programs that can be offered on location for businesses investing in overall employee health.
These programs are also great examples for other companies who are hoping to implement a culture of health in their office culture.
Here are some examples:
- The Diabetes Prevention Program gives individuals the skills and support to make lasting, healthy lifestyle changes. Risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes can be reduced or eliminated by weight loss, healthier eating and an increase in physical activity.
- YMCA Weight Loss Program supports small changes to daily behaviors to form sustainable, healthier habits. Participants self-design an action plan that will empower long-term, positive change in their lives.
- The Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program focuses on regular self-monitoring of blood pressure using proper measuring techniques, nutrition education and one-on-one coaching.
- The Parkinson’s Wellness Program provides two nationally recognized, evidence based programs – Pedaling for Parkinson’s and Delay The Disease™ — that empower people with Parkinson’s disease and other neurological disorders. These programs are designed to retrain the mind and body using circuits of forced cardiovascular exercise, followed by symptom specific agility and motor control drills. Exercise may change the life of someone with Parkinson’s disease. Research conducted at the Cleveland Clinic showed a 35% reduction in symptoms after forced cardiovascular exercise.
- LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is an evidence-based program that helps adult cancer survivors reclaim their health and well-being following a cancer diagnosis. Participating YMCAs create a welcoming community in which survivors can improve their strength and physical fitness, diminish the severity of therapy side effects, develop supportive relationships, and improve their quality of life.
- On Site Group Fitness provides opportunities for employees to be physically active at their workplace. Group Fitness classes include Yoga, Pilates, Kickboxing, Zumba, Bootcamp, HIIT, and Silver Sneakers (special classes for older employees). With classes lasting 45 minutes, employees can easily incorporate physical activity into their daily work schedules.
- On Site Personal Training brings the Y to your company. A nationally certified personal trainer will come on-site with all necessary equipment to provide the number of sessions requested. All sessions are 60 minutes. This is a great way to reward staff for their hard work and dedication while improving their health and well-being.
The Metropolitan YMCAs of Mississippi combats chronic diseases and helps create a culture of health. As an employer, making a decision to provide one of these, or similar, programs is a great way to promote workplace wellness.
Learn more about the Metropolitan YMCAs of MS.[Success Story submitted by the Metropolitan YMCAs of MS.]